Ohmigosh, it’s been months and months and so much is going on. I don’t even know where to start. Let’s try bullet points, okay?
- I have had the best year in acting in a looooong time. I was booking gig after gig after gig. And good parts, too, not just one liners. Hubby is extremely busy as well and at one point, we were both working 12 hours a day and had to bring in two different sitters for our sick son during one week last summer. The downside of being self employed is that when get work, you work cause you never know when the money will stop flowing.
- I decided to run for a director position at my actor’s union and won. So on top of being a Buddhist district leader, on the school PAC, on a Theatre for Young Audience jury, and also two committees at the union, auditioning, and running the household, I am now attending monthly board meetings (albeit for a honorarium). More emails! I’ve even been to Toronto for a national council meeting. That was cool. Met a lot of super awesome people who are doing a ton of work on behalf of our members, so inspirational! Except hubby was asking me to arrange for a sitter as I was packing. Couldn’t get away fast enough, you know what I’m talking about, don’t you?
- I’m officially in menopause. Haven’t had a period since September. Went to my naturopath for bio-identical hormones which worked great! Had some nasty hot flashes last month but they seem to have stopped. I am definitely struggling with the weight around my middle (yet again) but now I have to deal with high blood sugar. Though my blood pressure is stellar. Went to the endocrinologist to deal with my weight issues who ordered some tests. She suggested diabetes medication to help lose weight. Hmmmm, of course, once you go on them, you’re pretty much have to stay on them. I have all the markers for having pre-diabetes and it runs heavily in my family. So I guess the fasting glucose test could seal my fate. Oh, yeah and an optometrist told me women my age get dry eyes. Thanks for that. I’m supposed to go back for a dilation test which will render me useless for a couple hours and unable to drive back home. Yeah, I’m on that.
- I did get new glasses – yay! No more flimsy spectacles falling off my face. Now the lens in my fancy expensive glasses keeps falling out!
- Joined an O.range Theory Fitness gym or whatever it’s called. Went to one free class which was brutal, but it’s cheaper than a personal trainer. I have no idea of how I’m going to fit that all in and get everything else done and still be there to pick my son up after school.
- Oh, yeah and I just finished writing a solo theatrical presentation for my son’s school for Black History Month which I’m doing Friday. I missed doing it during anti-racism week (seriously?) because we went to Edmonton for a family member’s funeral.
- Did I mention we hosted Christmas at our place? Oh, we did it up nicely, a few more lights, me cooking everything but the roast potatoes. I organized everything.\
- We had a 3 day holiday in Whistler. Boo got sick because someone knowingly brought THEIR SICK KID TO A NEW YEAR’S PARTY AND THEY STAYED OVER! So we spent 2 days in the very expensive suite while hubby and him watched TV. We haven’t had a family holiday in over 4 years.
- Hubby is now working 7 days a week which is both good and bad. Good because now we have to move cause our landlord is moving in at the end of June. Or so he says. And every place we’ve looked at is at least $800 a month more than we’re paying now. The thought of moving makes me want to throw up, but it’s out of my control, so what can I do? Bad cause everything falls on me and we have next to no time to even have a decent conversation that’s not about our son.
- We need a vacation and March break is coming up and hubby is working straight through it. As in a warm place where I don’t have to cook or do laundry?
- Did I mention I need a vacation? However, if we end up moving in a month, we’re going to have to say goodbye to that fund for moving expenses. Or maybe not. Need another gig! Or seven.